I am currently an Assistant Professor at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST
), in the Visual Computing Center (VCC
). I lead the Image and Video Understanding Lab (IVUL
) at KAUST. My VCC webpage is here
. I am also an adjunct Senior Research Scientist at the Advanced Sciences Digital Center (ADSC
) of Illinois in Singapore, where I am PI on the Semantic Analysis of Video project
. I am involved in several interesting projects that focus on exploiting techniques in computer vision and machine learning for real-world applications including semantic sports video analysis, large-scale activity recognition/detection, and real-time crowd analysis.
I was a graduate research assistant at the Computer Vision and Robotics Lab (CVRL
) at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
. My advisor was Professor Narendra Ahuja
, who heads CVRL. My PhD work focused on modeling dynamic textures from video for the purpose of non-trivial synthesis, recognition, compression, extraction, and activity recognition. This problem is new, practical, and very interesting. Needless to say, it kept me busy. While I was doing my PhD, I worked on other things too, including efficient optimization schemes (e.g. in normalized graph cuts), sparse representation and dictionary learning, and ways of using human perceptual information in computer vision applications.
News: this section only shows highlight news. For detailed news, go here
- [11/2016]: awarded a TAQADAM grant from Sabb bank based on project with Effat University
- [11/2016]: 1 paper accepted to AAAI2017
- [08/2016]: two of my students (Fabian Caba and Victor Escorcia) participate in the annual MSR PhD Summer School in Cambridge UK, the annual computer vision summer school in Sicily Italy, and the annual deep learning summer school in Montreal Canada.
- [07/2016]: 4 papers accepted at ECCV 2016 (3 posters and 1 spotlight) + 1 paper at IROS2016!
- [07/2016]: MIT Tech Review article on collaborative project with Effat University. Here is the article.
- [07/2016]: 1st annual ActivityNet Recognition and Detection Challenge organized at CVPR2016. Check out the competition results. We thank our sponsors: Google, Nvidia, and KAUST.
- [06/2016]: IVUL presented our 3 papers at CVPR2016.
- [06/2016]: Hachid won the best business plan competition at VIEW2016 at CVPR this year. The win was based on a pitch I gave at the workshop.
- [03/2016]: 3 CVPR papers accepted (2 posters + 1 spotlight)!!
- [03/2016]: QNRF proposal with David Yang, Marianne Winslett, and Mounir Hamdi on "Real-Time Analytics for Sports Video Streams" is accepted!! [go to 02:39 in the video here]
- [03/2016]: I gave a talk at the annual KAUST-NSF conference on Large-Scale Activity Understanding [URL]
- [02/2016]: FashionLatte and FashionMatch are in the news again. Here's the DailyIllini article!
- [01/2016]: FashionLatte and FashionMatch are in the news. Here's the ChicagoInno article and the ECE UIUC article!
- [11/2015]: 2 out of 2 AAAI papers accepted!
- [06/2015]: featured article about computer vision on the KAUST website
- [06/2015]: we presented 5 CVPR papers, one of them an oral. I want to congratulate all the members of the IVUL group at KAUST. All the papers will be available on the IVUL website
- [04/2015]: article in the Universidad Del Norte website about my Google Faculty Award. It's in Spanish :)
- [03/2015]: CIV conference at KAUST. Thanks to David Forsyth, Irfan Essa, Larry Davis, Shuicheng Yan, Yi Ma, Daniel Cremers, and ALL the other speakers!
- [03/2015]: 5 CVPR papers got accepted!!! 1 oral + 4 posters!
- [02/2015]: Awarded Google Faculty Research Award for "ActivityNet: A Large-Scale Video Benchmark for Human Activity Understanding"!
- [12/2014]: 2 Eurographics papers accepted to publication
- [12/2014]: Gave an invited talk at the first annual Conference on Remote Sensing at ARAMCO in Dammam
- [12/2014]: Recognized as an Outstanding Reviewer for the Pacific-Rim Conference on Multimedia 2014
- [11/2014]: Presented 3 papers at ACCV 2014
- [06/2014]: my postdoc Ali Thabet wins the SABIC postdoctoral fellowship for the 2014-2015 year!
- [06/2014]: Attended CVPR 2014
- [05/2014]: Program Committee member of two workshops at ACCV 2014 [IWRR2014][FSLCV]
- [03/2014]: Victor and Fabian arrive to KAUST for a long term research internship. Link to Barranquilla news expo here
- [03/2014]: paper accepted to MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. Link here
- [11/2012]: ADSC's Sports team got hosted in Singapore's second most read newspaper "Today": here or here
- [10/2012]: Neurocomputing submission about low-rank SDP accepted
- [09/2012]: Opening for a postdoc position at KAUST. Link here for more details
- [08/2012]: CVIU submission about modeling dynamic swarms accepted with minor revisions
- [08/2012]: gave talks at Google Research and HP Labs
- [06/2012]: IJCV submission about Multi-Task Tracking accepted with minor revisions
- [06/2012]: 1 paper accepted to ECCV 2012
- [06/2012]: 3 papers accepted to ICPR 2012: 2 orals and 1 poster
- [03/2012]: visited ADSC in Singapore. Many fruitful meetings!
- [03/2012]: our MTT paper got accepted to CVPR for an oral!
- [03/2012]: submitted 2 papers to ECCV!
- [02/2012]: joined KAUST
2011 and Earlier